An old route.
A shipping company
was established at Røros in 1886.
In 1887 their first steamboat S/S Fæmund had her first trip on the
lake. There has been regular boat traffic on Femund since then.
The first boat was a
feet long wooden vessel named "Fæmund". However , this was too small
for the towing of timber, so in 1905 the new steel ship, 82 feet
long was put on water, and named Fæmund II. Today - more than 100
years later, we have the same boat running - quite an elderly lady!
In 1958 the old
steam engine was replaced by a 160 hp strong diesel engine.
The traffic has
changed greatly since the early days. Timber towing was finnished
in 1970, and transport of other goods has been redused too. The
company turned to transport of people, and in 1980, M/S Fæmund II
was rebuilt with this in mind.